The Media & Leadership Academy at Grady College is an intensive residential one-week program focused on experiential learning. This program is open to rising high school sophomores to seniors interested in the mass communication field. Incoming UGA freshmen who intend to pursue a Grady College major also are eligible to attend.
Participants will choose from one of the three offered tracks: Journalism, Advertising & Public Relations or Entertainment. Participants will spend the first half of the week learning about their chosen track. In the second half of the week, they will develop more specific skill sets based on their interests by working on teams to complete a class project.
A taste of college life
The academy is a residential program and participants will stay in a residence hall during the week. Accepted students can choose their roommate or a roommate will be assigned. Academy counselors (current UGA students) will stay with the students and will respond to needs and make sure students are in their rooms by the curfew. Please visit the UGA Residence Halls website for details about the accommodations.
Nightly activities throughout the week will provide opportunities for participants to network, build connections and have fun.
How to Apply
- Applications will be available in late February 2019. in order to be accepted into the Media & Leadership Academy at UGA’s Grady College. Space is limited in each track.
- General application materials will include an application form and a brief statement of interest (250-word maximum)
- Please send the completed application to email@example.com.
- The program fee is $550 per student. Once accepted into the M&L Academy, fees can be paid via an online system or by check.
- A separate form and additional materials will be needed in order to apply for a need-based scholarship.
Limited scholarships will be available. To apply for a full or partial scholarship, applicants will need to follow the steps below.
Complete General Application (available in late February 2019)
Scholarship form (available in late February 2019)
500-word statement of need
1 work sample
- 1 reference letter
Questions? Contact us at 706-542-5022 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2016 Grady Games
- Visit the official website produced by the Academy: The Grady Gazette.
- Check out the photo highlights on the Flickr page.
2014 & 2015 Academy News
- Watch "The Grady Bunch"-- the official broadcast production of the Academy
- Read The 13th District-- the official news website produced by the Academy
- Checkout the advertising campaign for Zilopop-- developed by the Academy advertising class.
- Check out photo highlights on the camp's official Facebook page or visiting the GSPA Flickr page.
- Download the 2014 official program.
2013 Academy News
- Visit "The 13th District," the news website produced by the writing and photojournalism students of the 2013 Georgia Journalism Academy.
- Watch "The Grady Games Report," the TV news show produced by the broadcast students of the 2013 Georgia Journalism Academy.
- View the advertising campaign for "Le Whif," prepared by the 2013 Georgia Journalism Academy advertising class.
- Read the official UGA press release about Grady Games victor, Chad Rhym of Clarke Central High School.
- Like "Grady Games 2013" on Facebook to view photographs from the camp.
2012 Academy News
- View the official Academy broadcast, The Glee Report
- Download the official Academy newspaper, The Dynamic
- View the photojournalism class' slideshow
- Check out our 2012 Superstar!
2011 Academy News
- UGA Press Release: Dada Named Journalism Academy Superstar
- Watch "The Grady Glee Report," the broadcast published by students of the 2011 Academy
- Visit the "2011 Grady Glee" Facebook page for photos and more from the 2011 Academy
- Download "The Grady Generation," the newspaper published by students of the 2011 Academy. (2 MB)
- View the photojournalism class slideshow
- Download the official 2011 program (1.2 MB)
2010 Academy News
- UGA Press Release: Lithonia's Brown Named Journalism Rock Star
- View photos from the 2010 camp
- The Amplifier, the Academy's newspaper
- Twenty-four broadcast students created a TV news show, "Grady News Network," for the 2010 Academy.
| Visit our iTunes U store to download | To directly download .mp4 movie (32.3 MB) |
- View the 2010 Academy Program
2009 Academy News
- UGA Press Release: Jones Named Journalism Rock Star
- "The Goal Post," the Academy's newspaper. (10 MB)
- Photos from the 2009 Academy.
- Twenty-two TV broadcast students created a 15-minute TV news show, "The Rock Report," for the 2009 Georgia Journalism Academy. Click here to download this .mov movie (19 MB), or click here to download this show from GSPA's iTune U store page*
- * Visit www.apple.com to download either a free Quicktime player or iTunes software to view the "The Rock Report"
2008 Academy News
- UGA Press Release: Van Wicklen named Journalism Academy's MVP
- "The Goal Post," the Academy's newspaper. (4 MB)
- 2008 Academy Photo Gallery
To download .ppt (207 MB) | To view web slideshow
- Grady Gridiron, the academy's show
2007 Academy News