The Georgia Scholastic Press Association was organized in 1928 by then the Grady College of Journalism at the University of Georgia to promote the understanding and practice of journalism. In the last 88 years, GSPA has evolved to encompass the various trends in journalism and mass communication. GSPA provides opportunities to network, opportunities for skill development; and provides tools to bring programs/publications to the next level.
- Membership is open to high and middle school- sponsored newspapers, news magazines, yearbooks, literary/creative magazines, broadcasts, and online media staffs.
- Membership is valid for the academic year, beginning in July and ending in June of the next year.
- Annual membership dues are $50 until October 31st, per adviser and include membership for multiple publications. Individual students participate in activities through their advisers' membership. Additional advisers can be added to a membership for an additional $10.
- Members can annually renew their membership in a reduced price until August 31s. Afterwards the dues are $50 until October 31st. After October 31st dues will be $65.
- Members will have exclusive access to resources and publication archives in the "members only" section of the GSPA website.
- Members will receive the official association's newsletter The Bulletin six times throughout the academic year. The Bulletin includes pertinent information regarding the happenings in the association and more resources for development.
- Members will have access to the GSPA listserv.
- Members will have the opportunity to attend the annual events (additional funds required to attend):
- A fall conference
- A summer adviser's workshop
- A new Spring event (formally the Awards Luncheon)
- Members are able to participate in various contests throughout the year (additional funds required to participate).
- Members are able to participate in critique services during the fall conference and spring contest.
GSPA is excited to begin offering new membership services beginning in August.
- Volunteer opportunities in the Advisory Board.
- Creation of a Student Advisory board.
- Creation of a membership directory; to help foster a more united journalism scene among schools throughout the state.
- School visits. Members will be able to request and schedule visits with the director and special guests.
Interested in becoming a GSPA 2016-17 member? Fill out our new online form!